Friday, September 17, 2010

Okra Pickles

The above recipe is written in my mama's handwriting.  (ILY and MY Mama...)
Over the summer, Charles worked at "Mary Gibson's Produce" and brought home baskets of okra on several different occasions.  We made Okra Pickles using my mama's recipe, and I gave away several jars to friends at school and elsewhere.  Well, that started an okra pickle frenzy!!!  Since I ended up making several batches of pickles, I thought I'd blog the process so others could make some if they wanted...

Wash and sterilize jars, rings, and new flaps (lids).   
    Put a clove of garlic and a hot pepper in the bottom of each jar.  Add 1 teaspoon of dill seed to each jar.   
                             
Pack the jars with clean, crisp, young okra pods with the stem end cut open.




Boil together 1 quart of white vinegar, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup salt. 
Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour the hot mixture over the jarred okra.
Seal the jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment