Monday, November 1, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 22

[Day 22]
Favorite City
I'm linking up with Katie K. for the next month or so for the 30 Day Blog Challenge. 
Wish me, and everyone else who's participating, perseverance and good luck!

This may sound crazy, but my favorite city is actually the small town in which I was born and raised....
CHERAW, SC

I can think of no other town that is as beautiful as Cheraw.  The town is covered with beautiful old trees and colorful azaleas, not to mention flower beds that change each season.  You can see daffodils in the spring, marigolds in the summer, and pansies in the fall and winter in front of public buildings, family dwellings, and in the medians of the tree-lined streets. 
 

Not only is the town pretty, it is historic.  Cheraw was a stopping point for General Sherman's march to the sea.  St. David's Episcopal Church was set up as a make shift hospital during the Revolutionary War.  Pictured below are some of the must-see sites in town.

Famous jazz trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie was born in Cheraw and a statue
depicting him is displayed on the Town Green.

Old St. David's Episcopal Church



Market Hall and Cheraw Town Hall
Like I said, I was born and raised in "The Prettiest Town in Dixie" and even though I live only 15 miles away, I long to live there again.  Maybe someday in the future we can move back across the river to my sweet hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment