Saturday, April 23, 2011

What's in a Name??

How did you parents decide on your name?
Strangely enough, I was named for my uncle and my great-uncle.  My first name is Jo (that's all....just Jo) after my great-uncle Josiah Evans, and my middle name is DeWitt after my mama's brother, William DeWitt Evans.  Mama once told me that my daddy wanted to name me Mary, but she told him no because his first two wives were named Mary....LOL :)

Do your initials (first/middle/last) spell anything funny?
No...my initials went from JDD to JDB.  
Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you drop your middle name and take your maidenname as your middle name?  (Or if unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
I dropped my middle name from childhood.....although I preserved my middle name by giving it to my daughter...

Are you or will you name your children systematically (ie, same first letter, same origin, etc?)
No, I didn't, but I did give them all family names.

Did you decide on names as a little girl?  Did you stick to them or change your mind?
When I was younger, I had decided that my daughter would be "Hillary Bobbett."  Thankfully I changed my mind on that one.... I don't remember if I had a boy's name or not....I guess not...
Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
My granddaddy, daddy, brother, nephew, and great-nephew have the same name, Lawrence Jefferson Davis, Sr., Jr., III, IV, and V!!  My husband was named for his daddy, and our son is named after both of them, Charles Ernest Black, III.  Mostly everyone in our family is named after someone, a passed down name through the generations....

Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
I picked names based on the name itself and who it is in memory or in honor of.....

Do you name pet names with human names or dog names?
Our dogs are Spanky, Lemon, Ricky Bobby, and Pippi....none of which would be names that I'd choose for my children.  I've had dogs with human names before, like Jim, Kane, Sam, Pete, Martha, Marty, and Bill.

Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience or someone you once knew?
I don't like the name "Herman"....don't ask me why, but I just don't think I'd ever want to know someone with that name....  

What are some of your favorite names and why?
I really love our childrens' names.  I think that all three childrens' names suit their personality perfectly.  I have a lot of other names I like too though....we could have easily had 10 more children and I would have had no trouble naming them..... 
Here are a few of my favorites.....
William Hardin
Frances Davis
Carol Anne
John David
 Harriet Hodges
 Franklin Thomas
 James Aiden
 Robert Cooper
Chandler Witherspoon
 Alexina Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment