Monday, August 30, 2010

Meet Me Monday


Hey y'all. I'm Jo DeWitt Davis Black. I was born in Cheraw in of November '61, to Harriet and Lawrence. I have three older brothers, one older sister, and an older step-sister.....I'm the baby of the family.

When I was  very young, Bill Buchanan took care of me. Even though she had 10 children of her own, she came to our house daily to tend to us.   I've never told her, but I appreciate all that she sacrificed to do  for me and I love her very much.

My daddy died when I was four years old. I don't remember a lot about him....I've heard a lot of stories over and over, so those serve as my memories of him.

I went through all twelve years of school in Cheraw. I know that I received a good education in the Cheraw schools. I realized at a very early age (third grade) that I wanted to be a teacher....a special education teacher.

I was very involved in activities while in high school. I was editor of the yearbook, president of the Thespians, member of the student government, and editor of the Quill (literary magazine). I had lots of friends and we all hung out together at school, ballgames, weekends, etc.

I had a pretty steady babysitting job for two beautiful children, Carl and Krista. Their parents, Jane and Al, treated me as their own. I stayed at their house as much as I stayed at my own home, and I even went on vacations with them.

I entered Winthrop College in Rock Hill in August 1980 to study to be a special education teacher. I did not do my best while I was there but never failed a class. One thing is for sure....I had the time of my life while I was there.

After finishing college in '84, I moved back to Cheraw and began teaching at Wallace Primary School. I taught in the Wallace area for 16 years. In 1989, I completed my master's degree in learning disabilities from Francis Marion College, and soon after met Chuck, who turned out to be the love of my life.

Chuck and I married at Old St. David's Episcopal Church on June 14, 1992. We lived in a small apartment in Bennettsville until we bought our home on Jefferson Street. We were blessed with a healthy son, Charles, in 1993, and about two years later, became the parents of beautiful twin daughters, Lawren and Mary Jo.

My heart was broken in March 1998. My wonderful, loving, caring mama died after a steady decline in health. I really did not know how I would go on after she passed away, but I knew that I had to carry on and be strong for myself and my children. I hope that I can be at least half the mother to my children that she was to me and my siblings.

In 2000, I transferred to McColl Middle School to continue teaching special education at the middle school level. I found it to be a refreshing change and continue to teach there. The students in McColl are both a joy and a challenge, and I can sincerely say that love my school, my co-workers, and my administrators.

Well, that's my story, short and sweet...a summarized version....just the bare, minimum facts.  If anyone has any questions, or wants to know more, send me a message and I'll do my best to fill you in on anything I may have left out.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment